Monday, May 10, 2010

A question for Robin (and Gen, too, if you see this)

Robin commented on my previous post that she just rescheduled a fill.

Robin, can you answer some questions for me? And Gen, I would appreciate your input, too:

When you reschedule, what do you do for flights? Am I the only one that buys my flights like a month in advance? Do you buy the flight early, and just eat the cost if you reschedule your fill, or, do you just wait until the day before your appointment (to make sure you're actually going) before buying your ticket?

As you may have gathered, I'm an extreme bargain hunter here, so I really don't want to pay more than $135 for my flight, as that's the best I've seen it. Additionally, if I reserve my car at just the right time (either prior to about 6 weeks before my travel date OR within two weeks of my travel) I can get just the right price on that, too. So I'm planning my travel about a month in advance, with about a $175 investment into each appointment. I just can't not go.

Anyway, I'm just curious how you ladies do it. I'm not aware of any other bloggers that would be able to give me advice about traveling, are you?


And water update:

I like all of your advice about drinking right up until I start eating, and then waiting 45 minutes. I can definitely do that. It's the 2 1/2 hour water blackout that is tough for me. I just get way too thirsty!

5 comments:

  1. Gen was telling me something when we were at lunch about flights seeming to be cheapest between 14 and 7 days prior to flying. I haven't checked that out yet.

    I'm looking at flights right now for my June fill. I usually book about 2-3 weeks out. We never get really good rates between our town and Denver (I guess it's about $200 regardless).

    So far, my restriction has been the fading sort. I'll have decent restriction and then it gradually gets less and less. At two or three weeks out I can see a trend and will plan my fill and flight accordingly.

    I generally won't make flight arrangements unless I feel some reduction in restriction. And if for some reason I can't go to my appointment (or don't need it), I'll pay the extra to change the flight because that's cheaper than going and paying for the hotel and car and such for no reason.

    I think it was my last fill when I made all my reservations for the completely wrong week. I think it cost me $50 (or maybe $100) to change all my reservations. It didn't make me happy to pay that, but it was cheaper than a trip to Denver for no fill.

    So, I'm starting to look at flights for my 6/4 fill but won't finalize for another week or 10 days. If my fill fails quicker, I'll just tough it out. If my fill is still strong, I'll either change the reservations or go for shopping (depending on the cost).

    Bottom line... I wing it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin - you're awesome! I can't wing it, I'm the planning type! AND I want to stick to a tight budget. For me coming from Omaha, the flights tend to be the same price if I buy a month ahead, or about a week before. But, I can't really plan for a week or less, as I have to line up childcare, too. I just have too much going on in my life!

    But, I always told myself that I wanted to do the band when I was coming up on 30, instead of waiting til 40 (or later) when our lives might not be so busy, and the band might be "easier." I just gotta deal, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim - I sort of wing it too. I wait until 2 weeks to 7 days ahead of my appointment to book my flight. By then I can tell if I really need the fill or not, and as long as I purchase 7 days in advance I get the cheapest flights. I wish I could leave on the weekends - there are flights for $100 roundtrip! But my doc's office does not do fills on Mondays or Fridays, so it would never work.

    It is a tough call, because if you make an appointment and buy your tickets, then it turns out your restriction has gotten better and you do not need a fill (this has happened to me)...you really have no choice but to re-schedule and pay the change fee. That is smarter than getting a fill just because you have the tickets and then winding up too tight!

    As far as rental cars - I always do the Super Shuttle so no issue there. And I Priceline my hotel once I am certain about my trip. I always get a 4* hotel for $60-65 plus tax on Priceline. Awesome!

    I am super busy with 4 kids, but at least the older ones can manage after school until DH gets here, and the youngest is in preschool. The summer will be a different story. I am REALLY hoping this fill holds me until September because I don't know how I will get out there in the summer unless I bring some or all of them with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gen... how do you get a hotel with priceline near your doctor? Is your doctor downtown or ??? Inquiring minds need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And further more, Gen, are you able to take Super Shuttle downtown, and then walk the two days you're there? Or do you take a cab places? I know you're out and about shopping . . .

    ReplyDelete